Sunday, February 07, 2010

Why Are You So Puzzled (3)

MINI-CROSS PUZZLE #3




















ANSWERS for PUZZLE #2
Across: 3. miasma, 5. antonym, 7. bottom
Down: 1. riot, 2. Tammy, 4. barbs, 6. neon Place: Manitoba



Many of you may be familiar with a number puzzle, The Challenger. It is syndicated across the continent including in the Toronto Saturday Star. It is credited to Linus Maurer, an artist and cartoonist who was also a friend of Charles Schulz. Mr. Maurer's puzzle consists of a 4x4 square grid in which 4 numbers from 1 to 9 are placed so that there is only one given number in any of the four rows or four columns. Along the bottom and right side of the grid are given numbers which represent the totals of all the digits in each row, column and diagonal. The object is to enter digits from 1-9 into the blank spaces in the rows and columns so that the totals are all met. I hesitate to show an example here because this puzzle is copyrighted and I don't wish to infringe on that. I think my description is accurate.

What irks me about this puzzle is that a "Working Time" is given in minutes and seconds to guide a player, presumably into comparing oneself with the rest of the puzzling population. How does he know how long it should take anyone let alone give that time to the second? It seems disingenuous to even quote such a figure. I want to show you how to solve this puzzle in under a minute, every time. And I will do this in a post on this blog next Saturday February 13. I'll use the numbers for that day's puzzle in the Star for the explanation. Your time is too valuable to waste so much of it on the Challenger. Let me show you how to drastically cut that time and you can then spend more time googling other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment